Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Love Is Like A Butterfly


It is time for my weekly attempt at Flourishes Timeless Tuesday challenge!! This week Silke is inspiring us all with a sketch. You can join in for some fun and possibly win a Flourishes Gift Certificate to their online store. Every week they draw a winning card! You can find more details HERE on their blog.  Here is Silke's Sketch:


This is my take on the sketch. I wanted a more horizontal rectangular shape so I flipped it, if you will.




I used Flourishes "Clematis and Butterflies" stamp set. I colored it in with Distress Inks and separately stamped the butterfly, colored it in, cut it out, then popped it up on popdots. I used a Square Spellbinder to cut out my main image and a Scalloped Square die to mat it. The papers used were My Mind's Eye and Flourishes "Classic White" CS. The decorative border was created with the Spellbinders "Classic Lace" die and the silk ribbon is from Flourishes online store.



As you can see, I used popdots under every layer, to keep everything from looking too flat and uninteresting.

Yesterday, on the Flourishes blog, Beate posted a great tutorial on using Distress Inks to watercolor in images. I started out using Distress Inks, so using them wasn't new to me, but I haven't touched them in almost 3 years, since I bought my Tombows. Even though they are the same medium, you don't use the same techniques. So I took Beate's tips from the tutorial, and challenged myself to an all Distress Ink card. I love how the card turned out!! I think I will start mixing Distress Inks and Tombows, from now on, to intensify the colors on my images. It's all about learning as you go and finding out what you like and what works best for you :)

10 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning, Amanda, there's an amazing depth of color with the distress inks and an amazing dimensional look with all the popped up layers! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Your coloring is fantastic, and I love the lacy border.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, this is so gorgeous!! Love the white on white layers! They make the red flower pop! Thank you for playing along at the FTTC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a gorgeous card! Those blossoms look stunning! Thanks for playing along with FTTC :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amanda, what a wonderful card you made.
    The stamp is gorgeous and the coloring top.
    Greetings from holland, Marjolein.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda, your card is fabulous!!! Then again...I love everything you create :) !!! Thank you for playing the sketch with us...hugs ~S~

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful Amanda! Your coloring is fantastic and this is one of my favorite Flourishes sets!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous! Your coloring is fabulous! Blessings! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another beauty! Dreamy and elegant!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You For Your Kind Comments And Please Have A Wonderful Day!!